People, pride and favourite places
Dundee is Scotland’s fourth largest city, with a population close to 150,000. Standing proud in the centre is the Dundee Law. Beyond that lie parks, gardens and close-knit communities – bound by Broughty Ferry in the east, Invergowrie to the west and the River Tay to the south. This panel celebrates many well-known places in Dundee, including residential areas, city centre parks and, of course, the beautiful silvery Tay.
1. The Law
This well-known landmark is actually a volcanic sill formed 400 million years ago. At 174m high, the summit of the Dundee Law is the highest point in the city. The surrounding ‘petals’ contain symbols of communities who have settled in Dundee. Alongside the thistle there is a shamrock, poppy, sunflower, plum blossom, lotus, jasmine and lily.
2. Mill of Mains
Historically named after the working grain mill that once stood in this area.
3. Metal tree
The result of a community project to create a fun sculpture for kids to play on. Designed by Theresa Lynn and Pamie Bennett, and commissioned by Dundee City Council.
4. Linlathen East Bridge
Potentially the oldest iron bridge in Scotland, Linlathen East Bridge was built in the late 1790s to carry horse-drawn carriages over the Dighty Burn and into the Linlathen estate. The Category A-listed bridge re-opened in 2012 after extensive conservation work.
5. Dolphin & swimmer
Ye Amphibious Ancients Bathing Association (YEABBA) is based at Broughty Ferry harbour, and its members have been taking regular ‘dooks’ in the River Tay since 1884. The fund-raising New Year Dook also takes place here.
6. RNLI welly dog
Standing guard outside the RNLI station in Broughty Ferry is a yellow ‘welly dog’. The RNLI’s first lifeboat was placed here in 1859.
7. Broughty Ferry Castle
Standing proud at the mouth of the harbour, Broughty Castle was built in 1490 to defend Scotland against the English Navy. In 1860, the Castle was converted from a ruin to a modern artillery defence when France threatened to invade Britain. It was updated again during the two World Wars, but now it’s a popular local museum.
8. Hilltown tenement
This tenement block in North Ellen Street is known as ‘Faces Land’, thanks to the human and animal faces carved onto the window frames. Designed by John Bruce in 1871.
9. Wellgate Library Gates
The distinctive gates of Wellgate Library which opened in December 1978.
10. Slessor Gardens
Named after Mary Slessor, a Scottish missionary, this green space is part of Dundee’s Waterfront development. The pocket gardens have been designed to reflect different aspects of Dundee’s geography and heritage, and are managed and maintained by local community gardening groups. The site currently holds a Green Flag Award.
11. Dundee Central Mosque
Home of the Dundee Islamic Society, the Central Mosque is located in Hawkhill. It was the first purpose-built mosque in north-east Scotland (completed in 2000) and it often participates in the city’s Doors Open Day event.
12. Bandstand at Magdalen Green
A Dundee icon, the much-loved bandstand was built in 1890 and it often appeared in paintings by Dundee artist James McIntosh Patrick. You’ll also find a perfect replica located at Seabraes Viewpoint on Perth Road.
13. Lynch Sports Centre
This former sports centre on South Road has now become a community hub called Change Centre, home of Street Soccer Scotland.
14. Tumbler Falls
David Annand’s arresting sculpture is located at Kingsway West Retail Park, where three acrobats can be seen vaulting over the water below.
15. Dryburgh land settlement scheme
In 1935, Mr James Mathew created a trust fund and gifted 188 acres of land in Dryburgh – at that time, on the outskirts of Dundee – to help tackle the problem of mass unemployment.
16. The Legend of Nine Maidens Well
This mosaic on Laird Street was designed by schoolchildren of Brackens Primary School in the 1990s, after the design won an environmental competition.
17. Strathmartine Castle Stone
This Pictish symbol stone, made from red sandstone, was discovered in a field close to Dundee in the mid-19th century. It has been in The McManus collection since 1969.
18. Camperdown Park
Four hundred acres makes this the largest of Dundee’s parks. Camperdown House was built by the family of Admiral Adam Duncan in 1828, following his triumph in 1797’s Battle of Camperdown. Today, the Camperdown tree trail celebrates the park’s 190 specimen trees – including the Camperdown Elm, Douglas Fir and Monkey Puzzle trees.